Is High End Furniture Worth It
When designing your space, you most likely have a picture or vision in your mind of the finished creation. Maybe you even have an inspiration or Pinterest board dedicated to your design. Translating that design from your head to the actual room can be a challenge. Choosing how to spend your budget to bring your vision to life can enhance that challenge. We often are asked the following questions during the design process, and we want to get these questions answered for you!
- What pieces should I splurge on, and which pieces can I source on a budget?
- What is the difference between a high-end piece and a dupe I found at a lower price?
- Is buying high-end or luxury furniture worth the cost?
- What furniture and design pieces should I splurge on, and which pieces can I source on a budget?
When it comes to converting your vision board to the actual floors of your own home, you don’t want to miss the mark. We see it all the time in our industry. A client chooses a more affordable, similar piece to the high-end piece they really want. They get it in their home. They’re happy. And then the regret sets in. While the similar piece may have initially been attractive because of the lower price, it may not have all the features that made the higher-end furniture the desired piece to begin with.
Furniture and Design Pieces to Splurge On
- Bed and mattress – There is not another piece of furniture in your house you are guaranteed to use for hours every day. Trust us – this one is a splurge!
- Couch or sofa – This piece is often the anchor piece of your room. While changing out decor and textiles can be done in a day, your couch will remain in the room for years.
- Focal features – If the design you’re envisioning is centered around one focal point in your room (a piece of art, a fireplace, a dining table, a light fixture you fell in love with, etc), this is not the piece to compromise on. You’ll find you’re happier with your design choice in the long run when you choose the furniture that checks every box of exactly what you’re searching for.
Furniture and Design Pieces to Fit Your Budget
- Accent Furniture – Side tables, accent chairs, ottomans, lamps, etc can be sourced on a budget, especially if they are pieces that won’t get a lot of daily wear and tear.
- Decorative accents – Changing out pieces from season to season, or finding decorative accents that fit the current trends is fun! When you source these details on a budget, you will feel freer to swap them for a new piece in the future.
- Textiles – Choosing more affordable textiles does not compromise the design of your space. While a cashmere throw certainly adds luxury to a design, a lovely wool blanket that fits your budget and aesthetic adds comfort and style to a room, too. Believe it or not, sheets can be in this category! A higher thread count and a higher price tag do not always translate to better quality. Oftentimes, budget-friendly sheets from a trusted brand are more desirable than an expensive sheet set may be.
What is the difference between a high-end piece and a dupe I found at a lower price?
We get this question a lot! And the answer is pretty unmistakable for this one – QUALITY! When you’re investing in high-end and luxury furniture, you should be investing in a piece that is made to last. Real wood is used in place of the MDF found on the dupe piece, couch filling is more durable, materials are more luxurious and include better protection and warranty options, the artwork is custom. You get the picture!
Taking into consideration the comfort your piece offers is a must in this situation as well. The dupe you’ve found to mimic the high-end piece you fell in love with is most likely not as comfortable. Materials and parts are cheaper on the dupe items, so you’re absolutely sacrificing comfort and quality.
What we often see in this industry is buyer’s regret when the dupe is initially chosen over the higher-end item. While the dupe may feel like a short-term win, purchasing the budget piece often results in items that need to be replaced or pieces that don’t bring the design vision together. Many buyers eventually end up going back and purchasing the originally desired luxury item. The dupe piece most likely will not save you time, stress, or money!
Is buying high-end or luxury furniture worth the cost?
This is one of the most common questions we’re asked in our store and during design consultations. If you’re not convinced already, we’ll answer this bluntly for you. YES, the luxury pieces are worth the investment! When you invest in a quality-designed piece of furniture, you’re investing in an heirloom, a piece that creates a feeling of class and luxury, and a piece to stand the test of time.
At the end of the day, high-end furniture pieces are higher quality, made with better materials, are more comfortable, impeccably designed, and will be a piece you can intend to be in your home long-term. Short-term wins do not outweigh the long-term satisfaction you’ll feel when you choose luxury furniture over budget pieces.